I love quiche! But often i find myself too lazy to prepare the crust because that means extra hours of slaving in the kitchen and we all know time is precious :)
Not to mention, extra crust means extra calories? hahahaha
Sauteed spinach, mushrooms and corn / Rainbow Quinoa / Cheese / Bratwurst Sausages
Mini Crust-less Quinoa Quiche
6 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/4-1/2 cup onion, diced fine
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup corn
Bratwurst sausages (I'm using pork with cheddar)
1/2 cup cheddar
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/3 cup parmesan
*feel free to add in whatever you want too!
1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Meanwhile. grill the bratwurst sausages on high heat and allow the exterior to crisp up. Set it aside to cool, then cut into small pieces.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a wok on medium heat. Stir-fry onions till lightly brown, then add in mushrooms and season it with salt and pepper. Add in spinach and corn.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. and thoroughly grease a muffin tray.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, salt, pepper and cheeses.
4. Add all the ingredients to the bowl with the egg mixture, and stir to combine.
5. Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin pan using a 1/4 measuring cup or an ice-cream scoop. Fill to about 1/4 inch from the top, then sprinkle a small amount of Parmesan cheese on top of each.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the egg is fully set and the cheese has just started to turn golden on top.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before running a butterknife around each muffin, and gently removing from the pan.
Enjoy it warm or let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.
Heat it up the next morning in the microwave/toaster for a quick, fuss-free breakfast that's packed with vitamins and protein :)